Who cannot participate?
In order to avoid any conflict of interest, full-time (salaried) employees of the Indiana Department of Natural Resources cannot participate in this program.
How are prices established?
Seed prices are established each year based on the abundance or scarcity of seed of each species and on the funds appropriated for our program. Therefore, prices may change significantly from year to year and may change without notice during the season. Check with us before collecting to avoid misunderstandings. We pay by good seed only with the exception of black walnut.
When do we stop buying?
Because we have a tight budget, we establish quotas for each species. We will stop buying when we have met our quotas. It is your responsibility to stay in contact with us concerning our quotas each day. We reserve the right to refuse seed at any time.
How do we purchase the seed?
You must complete a vendor information form before we can accept seed. We will assist the vendor with this process if needed. If the vendor is a minor, a guardian must be present to process the application.
- Seed invoices up to $10,000 are paid by the claim-voucher process. The State Auditor will deposit payment directly into your checking or savings account.
- Seed invoices for amounts greater than $10,000 will be paid using the SDO requisition process. The State Auditor will deposit payment directly into your checking or savings account. We can process one SDO requisition per individual per week. According to state law, payment must be directly deposited or we cannot accept your seed.
- Invoices and payments are processed in order of delivery.
When do we accept seed?
The following procedures must be followed:
- You must have a vendor information form on file with our office before we accept seed lot(s).
- Seed must meet our requirements for collections.
- Seed lot must be same species and all trash must be removed.
- We accept seed deliveries between 8 a.m. and noon, Monday through Friday, excluding state holidays, until our quotas are met.
- If seed is left on the dock before or after normal delivery hours, make sure seed is in a suitable container with a tag identifying the type of seed, vendor name, address, and phone number. This seed will be processed after seed lots that are delivered during normal delivery hours because some quotas have the potential to be filled in a matter of hours or in a few days. We cannot be responsible for any seed left during non-business hours.
Remote-stations seed must have approval by the coordinator of the seed- buying program before any seed will be shipped.
- We reserve the right to reject any seed lot.
What happens when I deliver seed?
- The person who accepts your delivery will weigh the seed, record the species and request that you complete the vendor information form if you haven’t already done so. A copy will be given to you. Your seed will be returned to you if seed is determined not to meet our seed requirements, or if you refuse to fill out the vendor-information form.
- Seed is tested based on a sampling schedule that is established at the beginning of the season.
If you have any questions, please contact the nursery nearest you:
NOTE: Policies and/or procedures are subject to change without notice.
Tree Improvement Program
2782 W Co. Rd. 540 S
Vallonia, IN 47281
Ph: (812) 358-3621
FAX: (812) 358-9033