- Skip Navigation

Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.

  • Business & Agriculture
  • Residents
  • Government
  • Education
  • Taxes & Finance
  • Visiting & Playing
  • Family & Health

Indiana Department of Natural Resources

Indiana Department of Natural Resources

Fish & Wildlife > Wildlife Resources > Nuisance Wildlife Nuisance Wildlife

New! Got Nuisance Waterfowl? Techniques for problem solving; a CD available to landowners and associations.  Contact your District Wildlife Biologist to request the CD.




Do I Need a Permit?

Frequently Asked Questions

Many wild animals in Indiana have become displaced as the result of urban growth and removal of their habitat. While some species may move to other areas where natural habitat exists, some species actually thrive in urban settings. Species such as raccoons, opossums and even red foxes are becoming more common in urban areas and are frequently seen by people. However, these animals can also cause problems when they use a person’s attic for shelter, destroy shingles and soffits, and eat their garbage.

Wild animals such as these are protected by the State of Indiana for all of the citizens of Indiana, but sometimes they cannot peaceably coexist. Because of the large number of raccoons and other species that cause a nuisance for landowners throughout the state, the DNR is unable to provide assistance to actually help remove the animals. The DNR does, however, offer some solutions and advice on how to try to prevent future problems and remove wild animals that have created a problem. The DNR also licenses individuals to provide nuisance wild animal control services to the public. Find one near you at: Nuisance Wildlife Control Operators. 

Resident landowners and tenants have several options for dealing with many of these animals. A resident landowner or tenant can legally capture some species of wild animals without a permit if the animal is discovered damaging property. If the animal is going to be released after it is caught, it must be released in the county of capture. You must also have permission from the landowner before releasing any animals on their property; this includes city, county or state property. Please contact the property’s owner or manager before releasing wild animals on their property. If the nuisance wild animal is not on your own property or you wish to receive an annual permit, you can apply for a nuisance wild animal control permit. The application form and regulations are available on-line.

Live traps can often be purchased from garden supply or home improvement stores. Be careful when live-trapping wild animals in the spring because they may have young. Be sure that all of the animals are removed before installing a chimney cap or sealing a hole in the attic.

For detailed information on prevention and control of any of these species, please go to:

DNR Contact Information:

If you need more information, please contact the DNR at (317) 232-4200 or by email at:

If you need a nuisance wild animal control permit, please contact the DNR Permit Coordinator at (317) 232-4102 or visit our website for a permit application.

List of Nuisance Wildlife Control Operators


Other Links