Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.
Indiana Department of Homeland Security
Christmas Tree Safety
Christmas Tree Safety Fact Sheet
Christmas Trees 2
Picking the Tree
- If you have an artificial tree, be sure it is identified by the manufacturer as fire retardant.
- Choose a tree with fresh, green needles that don't fall off when touched.
Placing the Tree
- Before placing the tree in the stand, cut 1-2” from the base of the trunk.
- Make sure the tree is at least three feet away from any heat source. One in five Christmas tree fires are caused by a heating source that’s too close.
- Make sure the tree does not block an exit.
- Add water to the tree stand daily.
Lighting the Tree
- Make sure the lights are for the proper indoor/outdoor use.
- Replace any string of lights that have worn or broken cords and broken bulbs.
- Never use lit candles to decorate the tree.
- Always turn off Christmas tree lights when leaving home or going to bed.
- Dispose of the tree when needles start dropping, dried out trees are a fire hazard.
- Bring outdoor electrical lights inside after the holidays to prevent hazards.