All Affidavit of Ownership (A of O) title applications are processed by BMV Central Office Title Processing to improve the security and efficiency of these transactions. Prior to submitting each application verify all required information is included. Call the BMV Contact Center at 888-692-6841 with any questions.
Customers who cannot obtain a properly executed certificate of title from a seller for a vehicle valued at $5,000 or less may apply for a title through the A of O process by submitting the following paperwork:
- Completed and signed Application for Certificate of Title – State Form 44049
- Affidavit of Ownership for a Vehicle- State Form 23037
- Bill of Sale. Must indicate the vehicle’s year, make, VIN, seller, purchaser, purchase price, and purchase date.
- An unopened, unclaimed certified letter to the seller’s (and lien holder, if applicable) last known address requesting the title. Note: If the letter is opened, the A of O application cannot be completed. Resend a second notice or seek a court order
- A copy of the unopened letter, confirming request for title for the vehicle in question
- Physical Inspection of a Vehicle – State Form 39530. Must be completed by a law enforcement officer
- Odometer Disclosure Statement – State Form 43230. All trailers and motor vehicles over 16,000 lbs exempt. Mileage will be branded “Not Actual”
- Lien release, if necessary. A certified letter to the lien holder may serve as proof of lien release, if applicable
- Proof of Indiana Residency. Examples include an Indiana driver’s license or ID card, utility bill dated within the past sixty (60) days, USPS change of address confirmation, or W-2. Visit mybmv.com for a complete list of acceptable documents
- Proof of sales tax payment. Certificate of Gross Retail or Use Tax Paid–ST108 or Certificate of Gross Retail or Use Tax Exemption–ST108E, from dealer (if applicable)
- $15 title application fee and 7% sales tax (if applicable). Payable by credit card (MasterCard or Visa), check, electronic check, or money order. A $21 delinquent fee will be assessed on packets received 31 days after the purchase date listed on the Bill of Sale. Sales tax is 7% of the purchase price indicated on the Bill of Sale.
Mail the completed packet to:
Central Office Title Processing
100 North Senate Avenue, Room N411
Indianapolis, IN 46204