Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.
2013 Indiana State Poetry Out Loud Competition
Plymouth High School student crowned Indiana's 2013 Poetry Out Loud champion
Emma Libersky, a student at Plymouth High School, Plymouth, Indiana, won top honors in the 2013 Indiana Poetry Out Loud recitation contest hosted by the Indiana Arts Commission.
Emma was chosen from a field of 25 finalists from Indiana schools participating in this year’s competition held February 23, 2013 at the Central Branch of the Indianapolis-Marion County Public Library, Indianapolis. This was the largest field of contestants to take part in the history of the state Poetry Out Loud competition.
2013 Indiana Poetry Out Loud State Competition and Winners
Nearly 2,500 students representing high schools from around Indiana competed to determine the state champion. The student crowned State Champion receives a $200 cash prize and an all-expenses paid trip to Washington, D.C. to compete at the National Finals in late April. The National Championships feature competitors from all 50 states, the District of Columbia, U.S. Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico. Finalists for the National Championship will compete for scholarship prizes totaling $50,000, with the National Champion claiming $20,000 in scholarship funding. The State Champion’s school receives a $500 stipend to purchase poetry books.
- State Champion: Emma Libersky of Plymouth High School in Plymouth represented Indiana in Washington D.C., competing in the National Finals competition in April 2013. Emma received a $200 cash prize and a $500 stipend for her school library for the purchase of poetry books.
- 1st Runner-Up: Nicole Schapker of Signature School in Evansville came in second place and received a $100 cash prize and a $200 stipend for her school library for the purchase of poetry books.
- 2nd Runner-Up: Daniel Robinson of Pike High School in Indianapolis came in third place.
- Rebecca Alifimoff, Canterbury School, Fort Wayne
- Cassidy Dye, La Lumiere School, LaPorte
- Diamond Griggs, Speedway High School, Speedway
- Alyssa Hoffman, Homestead High School, Fort Wayne
- Eliana Monaghan, Anderson Preparatory Academy, Anderson
- Chelsea Risser, West Noble High School, Ligonier
- Lindsey Taylor, Columbus Signature Academy – New Tech, Columbus
- Curtis Crisler, Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne, Fort Wayne
- Diane Drumm, University of Indianapolis, Indianapolis
- Chris Forhan, Butler University, Indianapolis
- Karen Kovacik, Poet Laureate, Indianapolis
- Alessandra Lynch, Butler University, Indianapolis
- Jordan Mather-Licht, Broad Ripple High School, Indianapolis
- David Shumate, Marian University, Indianapolis