Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.
Indiana Arts Commission
2011 Indiana State Poetry Out Loud Competition
National Endowment for the Arts Announces 2011 National Competition Winners
From a competitive field of more than 365,000 students nationwide, 16-year-old Youssef Biaz of Auburn, Alabama won the title of 2011 Poetry Out Loud National Champion at the National Finals held in Washington, D.C. on Friday, April 29. With his achievement, Biaz also received a $20,000 award and his high school, Auburn High School, received a $500 stipend for the purchase of poetry books.
The second-place winner in the 2011 Poetry Out Loud national competition was Victoria DiMartile of Fort Mitchell, Kentucky who received a $10,000 award. DeVonna Daisy Smith of Reading, Pennsylvania received the third-place prize and a $5,000 award.
Zack Rooker of Warsaw represented Indiana this year at the national competition. Although Zack did not make it out of the first round, we're proud of his achievements and wish him the best of luck with his future endeavors.
2011 Indiana State Competition and Winners
The 2011 Indiana Poetry Out Loud Competition took place on Saturday, February 26, 2011 at the Indianapolis-Marion County Public Central Library. The Indiana Arts Commission would like to thank all of the participants, teachers, parents and judges for making this year's Poetry Out Loud competition possible.
- State Champion: Zack Rooker of Warsaw Community High School in Warsaw will represent Indiana in Washington D.C., competing in the National Finals competition on April 27-29, 2011. Zack received a $200 cash prize and a $500 stipend for his school library for the purchase of poetry books.
- 1st Runner-Up: Christina Green of Plymouth High School in Plymouth came in second place and received a $100 cash prize and a $200 stipend for her school library for the purchase of poetry books.
- 2nd Runner-Up: Rachel Sieg of Floyd Central High School in Floyds Knobs came in third place.
- Aaron Bubeck, Broad Ripple High School, Indianapolis
- Olivia Byely, Traders Point Christian Academy, Whitestown
- Elizabeth Collier, Brown County High School, Nashville
- Treh Dickerson, Lawrence North High School, Indianapolis
- Abigail Jackson, Columbus Christian High School, Columbus
- Marcia Jochem, Forest Park High School, Ferdinand
- Alicia O'Neal, Anderson Preparatory Academy, Anderson
- Matthew Palombi, University High School, Carmel
- Priya Parikh, Homestead High School, Fort Wanye
- Nicole Schapker, Signature School, Evansville
- Christopher Citro, Indiana University, Bloomington
- Sarah Fronczek, MSD of Washington Township, Indianapolis
- Sharon Kibbe, Mayor's Office, Carmel
- Jonathan Thompson, Teaching Poet, Indianapolis
- Diane Drumm, University of Indianapolis, Indianapolis